The Mongo Brain

Monday, October 07, 2013

Delicious lentils!

I have been feeling like I am eating too much meat lately.  It is very easy to have a meal that is tasty that is high in protein and fat-- things I want to make sure I and my daughter are eating enough of.  But I have realized that I don't like the way I feel when I eat too much meat.  It is hard to explain what I mean.  In any case, I have been looking into what i can do to have more vegetarian meals that are tasty and chock-full-of protein and healthy fats.  Lentils are my preferred protein source at the moment.    

I made a really delicious lentil dish last night.  Well, it was a dish that took about 4 days to make but that was only because I can't make enough time these days to make an entire meal all in one shot.  I can do some prep on this day, some prep on another day, etc.  

It is very easy: sauteed roasted red peppers (this was roasted a while ago) with tomatoes and minced garlic.  Separately sautee chopped onions.  Toss all into a crockpot with lots of lentils, water, and two tablespoons of miso soup paste.  

YUM!  

The miso was added because we couldn't find broth.  But now I think miso is a better accompaniment here because it adds the umami I want in my bean stews.  It worked really well with the garlic and tomatoes.  

I can't include a picture because the look isn't as appealing as the taste.  I think cooking lentils in the crockpot always makes it look like a brown mess.  I can't figure out a different "look"-- and as a Chinese descendent, look matters almost as much as taste and texture in my foods.  I am going to have to figure this one out before I can serve it to others (beyond J and j).  

    





1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home