The Mongo Brain

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Nature in my backyard.

I live just on the border of DC and Maryland. It could be considered an urban area.

Just behind my apartment building is some undeveloped land with a creek running through it. There is a neat little wooden bridge that I have to cross everyday to get to and from the bus stop to school. When it is dark, it is quite a bit scary- reminiscent of horror flicks and the story the Billy Goats Gruff.

So tonight, while being really creeped out crossing the bridge, I saw the coolest thing in the whole world. I saw this huge, long beaked, slender bird standing in the waters below. In the dark, it seemed to have a white underbelly and a dark grey back. It was standing in the water as if it was looking for dinner. I have to say, I am not sure there is much out there to eat for this bird. I saw this bird once a few nights ago.

I wonder if it is going to stay. It makes me so happy but I also worry about it. Why isn't it hanging around in this neighforhood? Shouldn't it be down south, where it is warmer, cleaner, more plentiful in the food and there are more social options available? Well, if it decides to stay, I hope it will be okay. It makes me so happy to see it. It is so beautiful to see in the dark light. I wonder if I will ever get to see it up close or in the daylight?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home