The Mongo Brain

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

I am blown away

I just listened to President Obama give his victory speech. I am so happy that I am in tears. I cannot believe that I am alive, a part of this, that my nation overwhelming voted for Obama, that any of this just happened. Hope for a better future has just taken root in my heart. Pride in my fellow Americans for not only voting him in but more importantly sooo many participated and cared about the direction of our nation. Joy that I am happy to call America MY nation. It is my nation. Even my brother, who is a staunch Republican in my family, voted for Obama. Eventhough he didn't agree with Obama's tax policies, he trusted him more and he had hope that Obama could help improve things in America. Yes, we have a lot of work ahead of us, but we, as a nation, have decided that we all have a vested interest in participating in it and making things better.

I am also blown away by the fact that we have elected an African-American into the White House. This is inspiring. So many little boys and girls across America can really begin to believe that it is possible to move past the fetters of racial oppression, that this possibility is not in theory but in reality.

I am blown away by the hope that is in my heart.

2 Comments:

  • Same here! I was just commenting last night at dinner how I hadn't been moved by Obama even though everyone else around me has. And there I was watching the acceptance speech and felt happiness, peace, hope and serenity sweep across me. It was a calming moment.

    I'm happy to be an American!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/05/2008 8:21 AM  

  • I don't want to take away from your moment in any way - I am happy too. But it's interesting to note that he wasn't overwhelmingly elected - the popular vote was 63 million to 56 million. I think it's just interesting that it feels overwhelming to us, but it's not to half of the country.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/05/2008 8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home