The Mongo Brain

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Doing a dissertation: Advice #36

So right now I am supposed to stay focused and write my dissertation proposal. This is hard! The ideas that float around in my head are easy, but writing them down on paper/computer is hard. I just have to remind myself that this is my initial stab at something that isn't even my first draft yet. It is okay if it seems silly, inarticulate, incoherent, redundant and pointless. Gosh, even if it is my final draft, it is okay if it seems like all those things. Right? Right! What is the worse that will happen? They (the committe) tells me my dissertation sucks, tells me what needs to be fixed and I go back and fix it. It isn't like they have high hopes for me and I am going to disappoint them with a crappy dissertation.

Oh, so here is some advice for all those who are planning on pursuing a career that involves using one's creativity. In the beginning, try out everything and anything (so long as it doesn't cause damage) and screw up lots and lots. So, if you are a performer, just go on out there and make a fool out of yourself! If you are a writer, send out your writing frequently- the more rejection notices, the better! This is very important. Assuming you learn from all your screw-ups, you also have the added benefit of helping everyone lower their standards about you. Then no matter what you do next, it will just look real good in comparision AND you don't have to worry about disappointing people!

Manage distracting thoughts in whatever way you can. Otherwise, you never get things done. If anyone has other suggestions, please share.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home