The Mongo Brain

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Good old fashion minstrels

Every so often I hear an old John Mellencamp song (especially Jack and Diane), an old Billy Joel, or a Tom Petty song and am blown away by their songwriting abilities. They spin great stories that are knit together with effective and simple music. They are following the time honored tradition of the singing minstrel. I'm sure there are others too who fit into this category (one in particular is a friend of mine, Dave Alpert) but I can't think of them right now.

So this post is a request. I am looking for other singers who are also great storytellers. People who have a real gift for songwriting and storytelling- performers who are fabulous writers. Know of any? I noticed that the above writers sort of fit into a certain genre (male, white, acoustic rock and roll musicians). I am looking to branch out. Rap? Female? Electronica? Gregorian chants?

2 Comments:

  • My favorite: Christine Lavine, she of the "Piranha Women of the Avocado Jungle of Death Fame."

    BTW, John Mellencamp was on Fresh Air (NPR radio show) on Tuesday; you might enjoy listening to it online.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/01/2009 2:32 PM  

  • That's right! I really like that song too. Thanks for putting that on the CD you gave me a while back.

    By Blogger Matty Lau, at 4/04/2009 9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home