The Mongo Brain

Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Different stages of life

It's interesting to revisit things I favored when I was younger. I notice new things about that old favorite and gain insight into my younger self. Tonight, I was listening to a Veruca Salt cover of a song I used to like at lot- Somebody by Depeche Mode. It's your basic cheesy love song with an acoustic piano. But, somehow parts of this song redeem itself to me.

(The lyrics are below if you are interested in it)

I recall in middle and high school being hooked on to the line "I don't want to be tied to anyone's strings. I'm carefully trying to steer clear of those things." Of all the lines in the song, this was the one that resonated with me the most.

I still find a lot of resonance with that line today but upon listening to the song tonight, the earlier lines in the song had a stronger resonance. The lines about hearing me out and understanding me but not necessarily being converted to my way of thinking, in fact often disagreeing and the lines about helping me see the world differently. I was surprised that I didn't notice them so much before. I guess I was at a different stage in my life and was more concerned about other things.

Somebody
Written by Martin Gore of the band Depeche Mode

I want somebody to share
Share the rest of my life
Share my innermost thoughts
Know my intimate details
Someone who'll stand by my side
And give me support
And in return
Shell get my support
She will listen to me
When I want to speak
About the world we live in
And life in general
Though my views may be wrong
They may even be perverted
Shell hear me out
And wont easily be converted
To my way of thinking
In fact shell often disagree
But at the end of it all
She will understand me
Aaaahhhhh....

I want somebody who cares
For me passionately
With every thought and
With every breath
Someone who'll help me see things
In a different light
All the things I detest
I will almost like
I don't want to be tied
To anyones strings
Im carefully trying to steer clear of
Those things
But when I'm asleep
I want somebody
Who will put their arms around me
And kiss me tenderly
Though things like this
Make me sick
In a case like this
Ill get away with it
Aaaahhhhh....

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home