The Mongo Brain

Monday, June 01, 2009

Repellent

According to dictionary.com, repellent has four meanings:
1. causing distaste or aversion; repulsive.
2. forcing or driving back.
3. serving or tending to ward off or drive away.
4. impervious or resistant to something (often used in combination): moth-repellant.

I had always associated insect repellent with the second and third meanings. Apparently, when you apply insect repellent on one such as me, who has super bug enticing blood, you really only get a mild version of number one. In fact, the bugs will just land on me and walk around sniffing until they find that one tiny spot that I didn't cover with insect repellent and bit away.

I went camping this weekend. On the first night, I put on insect repellent that was about 35% DEET. Apparently, I missed a one inch square on the top of my left hand and a quarter inch square on my right hand. Give you one guess how I found out so much detail about those missed spots.

Then I went hiking on the second day with friends in the surrounding woods. Mind you, this was not at all rustic camping and hiking. I had covered myself with 98% DEET that day. After that first night, I wasn't taking any chances. Well, that evening, a friend warned us that he found a large tick (it was wood tick and they typically do not carry Lyme disease) and that we should do a check when we get a chance. Well, I went to the bathroom and "Hello there stranger!" I find a little one attached to my lower abdomen. Hmm, whatever happened to 98% DEET and being repellent? I distinctly recalled putting this stuff on my mid-section.
My friend helped me remove the little sucker. It now sits quietly (and quite dead) in a ziplock bag.

Well, when my spouse helped me with a more extensive check a few moments later and we found two more wandering around on my mid-section! They had yet to attach to me. I think they were searching for the spots on my body that wasn't covered with DEET. So, repellent just means "diverts them to some other spot"- at least when it is in the context of insect repellent on me. After screaming some (from me), we were able to place those two into another ziplock baggie.

My spouse eventually found one attached to his ankle and another friend found one attached to her as well. They did not have any DEET on them. The other friend who also went hiking with me a lot that day didn't have ANY on him.

I think I am just really good insect protection for everyone around me. I'm like crack for tblood suckers. You have me around and I just mesmerize them. I got me some special powers.

3 Comments:

  • And an update: S found two more (attached) when she got home. Ugh.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/02/2009 7:19 AM  

  • ick. where did you go camping?

    By Blogger CloverJelly, at 6/02/2009 8:31 AM  

  • It was Elk Neck State Park. J and I had gone earlier in the spring and had a lovely time. It was still lovely, except for those little buggers AND the drunken hooligans who spent all night Friday (really from dusk to dawn) drinking and shouting. J had talked to the park police TWICE Friday night. I was entertaining quite violent thoughts in the wee hours of the morning.

    By Blogger Matty Lau, at 6/02/2009 3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home