The Mongo Brain

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Sisyphus

That's how I feel these days about my dissertation.
I write. I write. I write.
I make progress up this hill. Then I get feedback and I feel like I am back to square one...okay, maybe square one and a half.

I know, I know, each iteration just makes it better- my arguments tighter and clearer. But I would like to be totally done with at least one chapter already. SHEESH!!!!

I guess it means, done enough to advance it to the next level so I can start the work on it at that level. Maybe I need to reframe my view of this process. It is more like a video game where each new level has new challenges that need to be accomplished.

But the game feels like there are at least 16 levels for each chapter and then when you get to the last level, they tell you there are actually some secret levels that you need to conquer but they don't tell you how many more there are.

sigh....

Okay, Sisyphus has to keep things rolling.

1 Comments:

  • I don't know if you were around to see this, but in our office there used to be a hill drawn on an 8 1/2" by 11" sheet of paper (colored in crayon, no less). There was a little stick figure attached to the hill with masking tape, and the current thesis writer of the group would move the figure higher or lower depending on how he was feeling that week. And the progress was not constant, nor always upwards, let me tell you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/16/2009 12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home