The Mongo Brain

Monday, September 25, 2006

My Neighborhood

I looked over my last two posts and noticed that they just seem to really paint my neighborhood in a really bad light. So I thought I'd put up a post about the things I like about my neighborhood.

Every weekend so far, there seems to be some soccer game in the field near my apartment. There is some sort of Latino-immigrant soccer league and people come out with their kids and stuff to cheer on the teams that come out to play each other. Sometimes it gets pretty funny to watch because the fans not only rag on the opposing team (though there really isn't a "home" team and an "opposing" team) they also rag on the fans of the other team...all pretty light-heartedly.

I also like that there is the creek near me, though now that i live further from the metro station, i don't get to walk by it as much. Nonetheless, when I am sick of being at home (of which I am a lot these days as I try to pull together my dissertation proposal) I go out for a walk and there is enough natural scenery around here that it makes for some nice walking.

Speaking of walking, I can walk to the supermarket, some cool restaurants run by immigrants (which to me means really really good food! Immigrants who service immigrants have cultural food pride.) There is an ice cream shop near me. The metro station is not too terribly far (though the walk is now a nice 20 minutes). I found a super great farmers' market- sells only local farm stuff so types of veggies and fruits are a little limited to what's in the area but super yummy- that is only a 10 minute drive from me.

My neighbors all seem fairly nice, though they all do have a tendency to play really really really REALLY loud music. My upstairs neighbors pose more of a noise problem than my neighbors across the way. But the guys upstairs seem fairly receptive to turning down the music when it gets to be too loud. I once went up in my pajamas on a Saturday morning to try to make them feel bad about having loud music before 10 am on a Saturday. Hey, I think the guilt was deserved. They did disturb my lazy saturday morning!

So even with the recent gripes, I think I still like my neighborhood. It is especially easy to like it on nice cool sunny days like this.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home