The Mongo Brain

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Whistle while you work...

My brother and I (independently) learned this very strange form of whistling. My spouse calls it the "asthmatic whistle"- it sounds like a very very weak whistle that keeps leaking out along the sides. I find it odd that both my brother and I had learned how to do this independent of each other.

I have taken up the task in my spare time to learn how to properly whistle. I am able to produce some tones that sound like proper whistling but it isn't consistent. I also have a very funny looking face when I do whistle. I start by acting as if I am sucking through a straw. While keeping the tight shape, I slowly stop sucking (I need to do this to keep the mouth form that is the base for my whistling technique). Then I blow through my mouth, slowly open my lips and adjust the lip placement until I get a tone. What i have found is that when I have my lower lip protruding (like some odd monkey pout) or when I have my upper lip protruding (like a very lippy overbite) I can somewhat consistently get a sound.

That's great except I really look doofy. Since then I have started to really pay attention to how people whistle. There teeth-whistlers, shaped-tongue whistlers, perfect-O-lip whistlers, and fingers in mouth whistlers. There is even a whistle language.These whistlers are from La Gomera and are called silbadores.

2 Comments:

  • Don't forget those showoffs that can whistle while breathing both out and in.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/16/2009 12:39 PM  

  • I wonder if it's genetic. For example, I can't curl my tongue. That's a genetic thing.
    Maybe it's the same with being able to exert facial muscles the way one needs to in order to whistle.

    By Anonymous a friend, at 7/31/2009 5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home