The Mongo Brain

Thursday, May 04, 2006

a much better day..achoo!

The police needed my help getting information about the purchases the person who stole my wallet made on my card. After much phone chasing, and though in the end it was incomplete, I was able to get some useful information for the police. I am happy to be helpful, but then part of me wonders if I just shouldn't let the guy go. Did he steal because he needed the money? Most likely. But will sending him to jail really help mitigate his problems? Well, if he has social or psychological problems, what kind of help would he get in going to jail? If it is financial, though he will be fed, housed, clothed and have medical care provided, he most certainly won't get those things once he is out of jail. I am NOT saying that we should disregard rule of law, but what does that rule of law mean in reality if the penitentiary system doesn't have a very good track record with rehabilitation. This may be getting a bit too serious for some.

Seriously, I did have a good day. I did a pretty decent presentation on my dissertation proposal to my class. That helped me rethink my proposal a little bit and also pointed out some things i really need to press on and hone. Found out that I might not have to get my masters and fill in all the stupid requirements for that and just skip to GO (my doctorate dissertation stuff). Found my cellphone and my car keys (thought I lost both). Saw a really cool presentation on the website http://www.childrenslibrary.org/ It is an international children's digital library. Over 5000 books digitized and stored on-line. It is a non-profit organization. The way books are organized there makes so much sense for the user. You can do the traditional searches that you would do at a library. IN ADDITION, you can search for kids books by how they make you feel, the color of the book cover, the size of the book, the kinds of characters (magical or real) that are in the book, all sorts of ways that actually make sense of how people might try to search for a book if they know nothing about it (or in kids cases, how to search in the traditional categorization that libraries use). It is a really cool website, you should check it out. Kids also right reviews of the books. Here is the website address again: http://www.childrenslibrary.org/

Okay, so the only bummer thing is that the weather has been absolutely beautiful but the pollen count is so high that i can barely breathe without sneezing. It is very hard to live like this and I have been living like this for a month. I can't seem to remember what life was like before maniac sneezing fits entered my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home